Maple Heights News is looking for a volunteer author for the weekly “Police Blotter”. Preparing the blotter takes about 3-4 hours each week and consists of reviewing the Maple Heights Police Department’s call log and selecting incidents which residents should be or wish to be aware of: crime trends (burglaries, auto thefts, thefts from automobiles) and high profile crimes and writing up a brief description about the incidents. The blotter is intended to be informative. It is not a platform to bash the police or a group of people. However, providing residents with a laugh at a Reader’s Digest-worthy “dumb criminal” is encouraged.
- Incumbents should be able to read through the call log and summarize information.
- Incumbent should have good writing skills (grammar, spelling or the wisdom to use spellcheck, ability to organize thoughts in a concise manner).
- Incumbent may need to contact Police Department to verify details.
- Incumbent needs to have access to a computer and know how to use it.
- Incumbents should have 3-4 hours weekly to dedicate to preparing the post and should have the post ready for publication on the same day each week.
MHN will provide training on how to use the website to publish the weekly post and and how to read the call logs. Students interested in journalism are encouraged to apply.
Complete the application below to apply: