Summer is here. Summertime fun is great but there are some things you want to keep in mind while you enjoy the season:
- Use sunscreen before heading outdoors, especially between 10:00 & 3:00, when the sun it at its greatest intensity.
- Wear light weight and light color clothing to keep cooler.
- Wear a hat when you are out in the sun.
- Sunglasses are not just for a fashion statement, they protect your eyes from damage.
- Keep hydrated by drinking water or products like Gatorade. Young children and older adults get dehydrated much quicker, so have plenty of liquids on hand if you are in the heat for long periods of time.
- Remember to take breaks in the shade or move to a cooler area when working or playing outside in the sun.
- Use your fan or A.C. when the weather gets really hot.
- Strong perfume and cologne attracts bees, so your might want to apply it lightly or not at all when you know you will be outdoors most of the day.
- If you will be outside from dusk until dark, mosquito repellent is a necessity.
- Check on the elderly to make sure they are safe and taken care of.
Things to look for:
Symptoms: profuse sweating, weakness, pale skin.
First Aid: bring out of the heat, rest, give fluids.
Symptoms: no sweating, red skin, unconsciousness.
First Aid: call 911, apply cold packs to body.